Gender of a name
Ethnicity Estimate helps you find thorough information about the gender of a name by establishing a name's most likely gender.
Name gender: gender from a name
The name gender feature analyzes a name to identify :
- the most likely gender ;
- the character set used for analysis ;
- a calibrated probability for the returned gender.
Our artificial intelligence is based on the morphology of names to identify the most likely gender of a name. We can identify the gender of a first name, the gender of a full name or the gender of a nickname. The gender determined from a full name will benefit from a more precise result than the gender determined from a first name.
Our taxonomy includes two gender: male or female. A probability between 45% and 55% indicates that it is a unisex name with a male name or female name tendency.
Our website Gender Guesser offers extended functionality to identify the gender of a name.
About name gender determination
What is the gender of a name
Gender is the range of characteristics pertaining to femininity and masculinity. Depending on the context, this may include sex-based social structures and gender identity. Most cultures use a gender binary, in which gender is divided into two categories: boys/men/male and girls/women/female.
For example, the full name Rosalind Franklin is identified as being a female name with a probability of 98.65%. Although we identify a gender (male/female) for names with a probability between 45% and 55%, these names can be considered as unisex names.
How to find the gender of a name
The gender of a name is identified by our artificial intelligence :
- enriched by one of the most complete databases in the world ;
- refined during numerous partnerships and research with universities (Harvard, Berkeley, HEC, ... ), scientific groups (The Lancet, Elsevier, ...), governmental and international institution (IOM, ONU, European Commission ...) and linguists, anthropologist and historians;
- reinforced by more than 7 billion names processed.
Our artificial intelligence not only compares names from international databases but uses the morphology of names to estimate their most likely genders.
Thanks to this technology we can identify the gender from a first name, the gender from a nickname and the gender from a full name.
Looking for extended functionality to determine the gender of a name ? Discover Gender Guesser website, specially dedicated to names and genders.
About name gender feature
- Tag: name gender.
- Determine: Gender from first name , last name (optional).
- Cost: 1 credit per name.
- API: name gender documentation.
- Method used: Comparison of international, national and regional databases and artificial intelligence based on the morphology of names.
- Returned values: Gender of the person divided into two categories: male and female.
name gender parameters
- First name :
- First name or given name or nickname.
- Script :
- Character set used for analysis.
- Gender :
- Most likely gender.
- Calibrated probability :
- Higher implies a more reliable result, ranges from 0 to 1.
- Score :
- Higher implies a more reliable result, score is not normalized.
- Gender scale :
- Gender scale ranging from -1 (male) to +1 (female).