Country of a name
Ethnicity Estimate helps you find thorough information about residence countries from names by establishing a name's country of residence.
The country of residence of a name does not necessarily indicate the nationality of a name. Because a holder of the nationality of a country does not always reside in this country and the resident of a country is not necessarily a holder of the nationality.
Name country: country of residence from a name
The name country feature analyzes a name to identify :
- the region of residence ;
- the country of residence ;
- a list of the top 10 countries of residence ranked by probability level ;
- the character set used for analysis ;
- a calibrated probability for each country of residence returned.
Our artificial intelligence is based on the morphology of names to determine their country of residence. This is why we can identify a first name country, a last name country, a full name country and even the country of residence of a nickname or an invented name.
Finally our functionality supports 192 countries of residence and 22 alphabets.
Note that the name origin feature may be better to identify a country of origin.
About name country of residence determination
What is the residence country of a name
A country of residence is defined as the country where a person has lived for most of the past 12 months. Tourists are defined as non-residents/residents according to the country of residence, and not to the nationality.
The estimated country of residence can in some cases be correlated to a nationality. However, the country of residence of a name does not necessarily correspond to the nationality of a name. Nationality is a legal attribute of the person whose holders are not necessarily residents of the country, just as the residents of a country do not necessarily have nationality. This is why we estimate a country of residence rather than the nationality of the name. We also provide functionality to determine the origin of a name or the ethnicity of a name.
For example, for the name Marie Curie the region of residence is Europe and more precisely Western Europe and the most likely country of residence is France FR. The returned countries of residence are based on the country codes defined in ISO 3166-1 alpha-2, part of the ISO 3166 standard published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), to represent countries and dependent territories.
In addition to the country of residence identify from a name, we indicate a region of residence, a sub-region of residence and a top 10 of the most likely countries of residence sorted from most likely to least likely. Knowing that the residence country of a name is not absolute, each found country of residence is completed with a normalized probability.
How to find the residence country of a name
The residence country of a name is estimated by our artificial intelligence :
- enriched by one of the most complete databases in the world ;
- refined during numerous partnerships and research with universities (Harvard, Berkeley, HEC, ... ), scientific groups (The Lancet, Elsevier, ...), governmental and international institution (IOM, ONU, European Commission ...) and linguists, anthropologist and historians;
- reinforced by more than 7 billion names processed.
Our artificial intelligence not only compares names from international databases but uses the morphology of names to find their most likely country of residence.
Thereby we can find the country of a full name, the country of a first name, the country of a last name and the country of a nickname.
We can identify the country of residence from a name in more than 22 different alphabets*.
About name country feature
- Tag: name country.
- Determine: Residence country from name .
- Cost: 10 credits per name.
- API: name country documentation.
- Method used: Comparison of international, national and regional databases and artificial intelligence based on the morphology of names.
- Returned values: Country where the person has lived for most of the past 12 months.
name country parameters
- Name :
- First name, or last name, or full name.
- Script :
- Character set used for analysis.
- Top region of residence :
- Most likely region of residence (alternative classification).
- Sub region of residence :
- Most likely subregion of residence.
- Region of residence :
- Most likely region of residence.
- Country of residence :
- Most likely country of residence, in ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 format.
Country of residence enumerators
- Alternative country of residence :
- Second most likely country of residence, in ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 format.
Country of residence enumerators
- Top countries of residence :
- Top 10 most likely countries of residence, in ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 format, sorted from most likely to least likely.
- Calibrated probability :
- The calibrated probability for country to have been guessed correctly. -1 = still calibrating..
- Alternative calibrated probability :
- The calibrated probability for country OR countryAlt to have been guessed correctly. -1 = still calibrating..
- Score :
- Higher implies a more reliable result, score is not normalized.